Happy New Year to All + a final quiz of the season (African History)
A Happy New Year to everyone. Let's all hope for better things in 2021. At least the weather has been brighter, if cold, these last few days. I have just returned from what I think one would describe as a bracing walk on the beach! Fingers now defrosted enough to type so here is the final quiz of the season. I think it may prove easier than the first two, or not.
QUIZ: AFRICAN HISTORY
1. Which African ruler threw out his country's Asian community in 1972?
2. In which modern African country does the Roman city of Volubilis lie?
3. Who was the last Emperor of Ethiopia?
4. Which North African country was never conquered by the Ottomans?
5. Name either of the two Roman Emperors who were African by birth?
6. Who were the indigenous peoples of North Africa before the arrival of the Arabs?
7. Which European explorer first rounded The Cape of Good Hope?
8. Where does the name Ghana come from?
9. What happened at Fashoda in 1908?
10. Which Arab country conquered the island of Zanzibar in 1698?
11. Where in Africa did Christianity first arrive in the 4th century?
12. Which African country was ruled as a personal fiefdom by The King of The Belgians?
13. Who were the indigenous people of Cape Verde before the arrival of the Portuguese?
14. What is the city of Ouidah in Benin notorious for?
15. Which European colonial Power was responsible for the genocide of the Herero people?
16. In which modern country does the ancient city of Carthage lie?
17. Who was Mansa Musa, and why is he famous?
18. Which Saharan city contained one of the great libraries of the medieval world?
19.Where does the name Zimbabwe come from?
20. Who or what were Impi?